When you enter a land-based casino for the first time, you will be impressed: A huge, wide-open area, filled with bright and eye-catching lights, voices coming from every direction… Brick and mortar gambling houses are excellent business in terms of design and decoration. Everything in them is designed to lure you inside and make you forget the concept of time. (This is why they do not have windows.) Find the game you want to play, sit at the table and place your bets with other people – simple. A dealer is ready to help you, always. When you stop playing, you can eat something, drink a tasty beverage and chat with other people. Land-based gambling houses are not just buildings that have games inside; they are also a social experience.
At least, this was the case for the last 5 years. To tell the truth, it is possible to say that nowadays online gambling is more advantageous in many respects than land-based. Online casinos did not attract much attention when they first appeared in the 1990s. At that time, internet connection was not common in every country, and both the quality and variety of games presented was few. Moreover, nobody trusted them: Who trusts and deposits money to a website? Online casinos were a “niche” hobby for about 10 years.
Which One is the Best?
But time was their friend: As technology has improved, gambling websites have also improved. The quality of the presented games has increased, and also the variety. The Internet has become a familiar technology, and people have started playing all kinds of games online. In other words, online casinos have constantly developed themselves for 10 years. Land-based casinos, however, remained as they are. Nowadays, both the number of online casinos and the profits they earn are much higher than in land-based ones. It is even possible to say that the future of gambling industry lies within the online casinos. But what is the difference between these two types of services? Which one is more advantageous?
This question has actually a simple answer, brick and mortar casinos provide a physical service while online ones are “digital”. So if you enjoy playing casino games, both services give you what you want. For this reason, you have to consider which is more advantageous when making a choice. Contrary to popular belief, land-based casinos also use an electronic infrastructure in their games: Old-fashioned games are no longer available. Even if you are in a physical building, especially in slot machines and video poker games, computers decide whether you will win or not. In this respect, land-based gambling houses do not offer anything different in terms of game variety and the technologies used. In fact, as we will explain below, they have many disadvantages.
Advantages and Disadvantages
- Do you know what the RTP rate is? This rate shows how much you will lose in the long. Every casino game has an RTP rate. As a player, you need to prefer games with high RTP percentages. For example, if this rate is 97%, you can recover $ 97 of every $ 100 you invest in the long run. Online casinos are much more profitable in this regard. Slot machines, for example, have an average RTP percentage of 85-97% at gambling website. For land-based casinos, this rate is 75% or lower. So playing in land-based there causes more losses in the long run.
- In terms of transparency, online casinos are more advantageous. They must publish their audit reports and the fairness level of their games on their homepage, in accordance with the terms of their gambling license. Because of this, it is possible to get an idea of your odds of winning before you start playing. Likewise, you can see the RTP rate of each game separately. Land-based casinos do not have such a practice.
- You are more advantageous in terms of game variety. Although land-based casinos are large, the number of games they can place in a physical space is limited. Online gambling operators have no place restrictions: You can reach thousands of games at the same time.
- Land-based casinos may offer a unique experience, but online ones are both more comfortable and more budget-friendly. First of all, you can play in the comfort of your home. So you do not have to make a physical trip to the gambling house. This has a positive effect on your budget too: By not going on a journey, you also do not spend for accommodation, eating, and drinking. Going to a casino is a situation where you have to stay there for a few days and make additional expenses. Playing from the browser, you can order pizza to your home and continue playing.
- If you are a time-limited player, online casinos offer more options. Along with the development of mobile applications, you can now play anywhere and at any time you like. So you do not have to allocate the time to go outside. Whether you are at home or at work, you can continue playing.
- If you like bonus offers, online casinos are your only choice. Bonus offers are often not available in land-based casinos, and their availability is very limited in scope and variety. Online casinos offer numerous promotions on a daily, weekly, and monthly basis. They even give you free money for playing.
Even the “Experience” Doesn’t Matter Anymore
The only part where land-based casinos are much better is their “unique” experience: You can come together with real people and socialize while playing. However, thanks to technology, this has changed too: With Live Casino feature, you can now play with real people and see a real dealer on your screen. In other words, you can still socialize without leaving the comfort of your home. Land-based casinos are still the same as they were 50 years ago. But the online gambling business grows day by day, gambling operators offer new features and use technological advancements. It is clear that they will be the winner of this race and the land-based casinos will soon turn into places visited for “nostalgia” purposes.