You may be surprised to hear this, but the history of mobile casinos stretches back to the 19th century. At that time, steamboats were serving as “mobile” casinos and roaming the Mississippi River to avoid gambling prohibitions. The first examples of today’s mobile casinos appeared in the 2000s. Even when there were no operating systems like iOS and Android yet, Java-based casino games were available. Moreover, they even had multiplayer support over WAP. The most famous of these games was the classic slot machine “Pub Fruity”, which was published in 2004 in the UK. Developed by Vodafone, this mobile slot has become so popular that developers started to adapt other casino games to mobile platforms. Texas Hold’em poker, Baccarat, Blackjack, and Craps were among the first examples of these titles. Almost all of these developed by Microgaming and they were designed specifically for Nokia devices. In 2005, Microgaming created a division called “Spin3” and developed a total of 110 games for mobile platforms. (This division is still active today.)
At that time, online casino sites could be accessed via portable devices, but this is a very bad experience. Neither the websites nor the games within them were ready for primitive operating systems such as Java. For this reason, casino games were developed independently, similar to today’s apps. In 2007, mFortune became the first mobile casino to feature multiple titles in a mobile app. There were 11 different games in the application, and it was installed by more than 1 million people. However, when the iPhone and the App Store were introduced in 2008, the industry has changed forever. iOS offered the option to seamlessly view online casino websites and allowed games to be designed with much more advanced features. As a matter of fact, even Apple itself sold a Texas Hold’em game for 4.99 USD!
In the course of 2010, the development of HTML5 technology meant another revolution for the industry. Until then, all apps and games were using the Flash platform. Flash is a platform that has a variety of security and performance issues, and it does not work on most of the operating systems. (These problems persist even today.) So you could not visit websites and play games developed using this technology on portable devices. HTML5 technology has solved this problem. HTML5, which fully supports Android, iOS, Windows Phone, Blackberry, and all other operating systems, made the mobile gambling experience much more enjoyable and fun. In fact, thanks to the HTML5 technology, these games can now be played not only on portable devices but also on wearable devices such as smartwatches.
Types of Mobile Casinos
There are two types of mobile casinos today, each offering a different experience. However, both can be accessed from the same devices. If we show them as a list:
- Mobile Websites: This means the mobile version of an online casino website. If it is encoded with HTML5 technology, there is no difference in terms of performance and feature set. So you can play all the games with optimized controls for the touchscreens and make deposits/withdrawals. To visit these websites, you can simply enter the casino’s usual address to your device’s browser. The system will automatically direct you to the mobile version of the site. No download option is offered only in this category because you do not need to install an external app to view the website.
- Mobile Casino App: To tell the truth, this is the most practical and most enjoyable option to use. Online casinos upload their own apps to the operating systems’ application stores. By downloading these into your device, you can take advantage of all the mobile features without having to use a browser. Play games, deposit money, use bonuses – you can do everything you normally do through the application without feeling any flaws. For this reason, we recommend that you always choose this option if it is offered.
What Do You Need to Play at Mobile Casinos?
First of all, you need a portable device. It is difficult to list them because there are thousands of different devices belonging to hundreds of different brands. For this reason, let’s start with the operating systems. Any portable device that uses the following operating systems is the first thing you need:
- iOS (iPad, iPhone, iPod)
- Windows Phone
It does not matter whether it’s a phone or a tablet PC: Being operated with one of these systems is enough. But we should mention that the Blackberry is no longer updated. In other words, you may start to experience various problems in a few years. The other things you need will depend on the casino type you choose:
If you prefer Mobile Websites: Open your device’s browser and visit the casino website. That is all, and you don’t need anything else.
If you prefer Mobile Apps: You need to install the application of the casino from the app store that is compatible with the operating system you are using. In this context, you can use the following stores:
- For iOS Devices: App Store. Your device already has a shortcut on the main page. Click this shortcut, open the store, and search for the name of the casino you want. If there is an app, it will be listed. Download the application and install it.
- For Android Devices: What you need to do is the same as iOS, but you’ll use “Play Store” instead.
- For Windows Phones: You need to do the same things, but you need to use “Windows Phone Store”.
Whichever option you choose, you can start playing mobile casino games in mere minutes. However, depending on the operating system you are using, you need to be aware of some issues; especially if you are an Android user. Android devices can have difficulty running some casino games that have advanced graphics. This is because Android is a system that can run on different hardware. So, if you do not have a flagship model of your brand, the performance of some games may not be ideal. If you experience this problem, unfortunately, there is nothing you can do other than to buy a better Android device. Windows Phone users may also encounter the problem of very few games. Since the number of its users is low, very few applications are being developed for this operating system. In general, we can say that online casinos consider only iOS and Android platforms.
Finally, you need to have a seamless 3G/4G connection. Mobile casinos need an internet connection like the desktop versions.
Advantages of Mobile Casinos
You can get many advantages by choosing mobile casinos. If we mention some of them:
- A Variety of Bonuses. All online casino bonus campaigns are also available for mobile versions too. Moreover, you can get exclusive promotions for mobile users. For example, while the no deposit bonus is significantly reduced at desktop casinos, mobile users can still benefit from this offer. Sometimes, the coverage and content of offered proposals can be broader for mobile users too. In short, if you like bonuses, portable devices are your best “bet”.
- Freedom. Play anywhere and anytime you want. Mobile casinos require no computers: You can play and win even in short breaks. As long as you have an internet connection, the whole world is your casino which you can visit anytime you want.
- It Feels Natural. Controlling the games with your fingers is a very special experience: Compared to using the mouse and keyboard, it is more enjoyable and more practical.
- More Games Every Day. The size of the industry is close to $ 48 billion, and most of the new best games are now only being developed for mobile platforms. Even the oldest companies in the sector think that the future of the industry lies in mobile titles and adjust their developing processes accordingly. You can find a new game to play every day, mobile casinos are updated much more frequently than other options.
Top 10 Mobile Casinos List
Here are the casinos we recommend you to visit:
|BetAt||100%, up to 500 USD, 50 Free Spins||No|
|Slotty Vegas||100%, up to 500 EURO||No|
|Casumo||1.200 EURO + 200 Free Spins||Yes, iOS + Android|
|Kaboo||200 EURO + 100 Free Spins||No|
|888||Up to 140 EURO||Yes, iOS only|
|Betway||Up to 1.000 USD||Yes, iOS + Android|
|Grosvenor||20 EURO No Deposit Bonus||Yes, iOS + Android|
|Hippodrome||Up to 1.000 EURO||Yes, iOS only|
|GUTS||300 USD + 100 Free Spins||Yes, Android only|
|RIZK||150% match bonus + 50 Free Spins||Yes, iOS + Android|
You can find reviews of all of these online casinos where you can play with real money on our website. You can also try free versions of mobile slot games on our website too: No download and no registration are needed to play. We recommend you to start with Five Times Pay and Fruit Shop Christmas Edition, but it is up to you.