Tips for Jackpot SlotsHere are a few tips to get you started playing on your jackpot slot machines:
- This may surprise you but stay away from games that have a very high payout. In general, if a game has exceeded the limit of 1,000,000 coins, it means that too many people have lost so far. There is nothing to guarantee you will be luckier. Even if you play such games, set yourself a budget limit and do not exceed it. Otherwise, you can get stuck in the glory of the big prize and go bankrupt.
- Before starting the game, carefully examine the paytable screens to see the rules and the prize amounts. Pay particular attention to RTP rates. If this ratio is less than 90%, your odds of winning are very low.
- Make sure that the symbol sets outside the jackpot symbols also have satisfactory rewards.
History of Jackpot Machines
We can define the jackpot as “grand prize” in its simplest form. When slot machines appeared for the first time, they did not have separate grand prizes. How much the symbols were going to pay was obvious, and you could not earn anything other than these. In the 1960s, slot games were not that common in Las Vegas. However, video poker machines were very common, and the “jacks or better” variation of these games was very popular. “Jacks or better” meant any pair higher than two 10s and this hand was briefly known as the “jackpot”. These games, which were popular because they allowed the players to earn a modest but regular income, were soon known only as “jackpot machines”. In other words, “jackpot” term originates from video poker games.
Casino managers have decided to use this feature to increase interest in slot machines. Special symbol sets have been added to slot games: Even if you were not able to place other symbols, it was still possible to win a prize by placing these special sets. Over time, jackpot awards for slot machines have increased. By the 80’s, they literally became a “grand prize”. It was possible to earn tens of thousands of dollars by using jackpot symbols. However, the reward system was still fixed, so the jackpot awards had an upper limit.
In 1986, IGT produced the world’s first progressive jackpot game: Megabucks. Megabucks, which was a true revolution for that period, did not have a fixed reward system. Instead, there was a progressive prize pool. With every game played, the money accumulated in the pool was increasing. In other words, the prize that could be won (theoretically) had no upper limit. However, due to the RTP rates, it was not possible to earn more than $ 1 million. Because the RTP rate of the machine was turning positive after a certain stage. In the mid-1990s, this “problem” was solved. Microgaming has developed the world’s first wide-area progressive jackpot game: Mega Moolah. This game also had a progressive pool, but more than one Mega Moolah machine used the same pool. Hundreds of machines all over the world were connected to each other online, and for this reason, the prize pool was rising very quickly. Indeed, a jackpot prize greater than $ 10 million was won only a month after it was pushed into the market.
Nowadays, Mega Moolah and Mega Bucks are first progressive slots that come to mind when someone says “grand prize”. These games have been awarded the following prizes so far:
|Megabucks||1.26.2000||Cynthia Brennan||34.959.000 USD|
|Megabucks||11.15.1998||Johanna Heundl||27.580.000 USD|
|Mega Moolah||06.10.2015||Jon Heywood||20.062.000 USD|
Types of Jackpot Machines
We can say that there are three basic categories for jackpot games. If we show them as a list:
- Fixed Pool Jackpots: The amount of the jackpot award is fixed and never changes. Generally, the biggest prize you can win in such games is not over 500,000 coins. It is possible to find the greatest number of options under this category. Contrary to popular belief, the likelihood of winning is higher on these types of machines. Fixed pool jackpots are actually classic video slot machines, but with a special set of symbols, they give a bigger prize than ever. An example of such games is the Fruit Salad Jackpot.
- Progressive Jackpots: The machines in this category are very few because almost all the jackpot games now use the wide-area system that we will explain below. But it is still widespread in Europe, especially in the UK. As we mentioned above, the distinctive feature of these machines is that they do not to have a fixed (limited) prize. Until somebody wins, every game played increases the amount of reward in the pool. The jackpot amount usually does not exceed 1,000,000 coins. An example of such machines is the Double Da Vinci Diamonds.
- Wide-Area Progressive Jackpots: This is the category you will find the most options today. The machines in this category also use a progressive pool, but the amount of rewards that accumulate is rising much faster as hundreds of machines are connected to the pool at the same time. As a matter of fact, 10,000,000 coins and over reward amounts are only seen in this category of games. However, as we will explain below, their RTP rates are so low that they cannot provide an ideal gambling experience. As an example of such machines, we can show Dragons Inferno.
Which Type of Jackpot Slot Is the Best?
There is not a single answer to this question. If we look at the profit that can be gained from the game, wide-area jackpots are the best option. Because they have a prize pool that is worth millions of dollars. However, the RTP (return to player) rate of these games is very low. The fact that a prize is so great means that hundreds of thousands of players have played and lost. So, if you do not have an amazing, even unbelievable luck, all you will be doing is to feed the pool. Such machines are not preferred by professional gamblers and seen as “tourist traps”.
Another disadvantage is that the betting limits are too high. All progressive jackpots require playing with the maximum bet amount to activate the big prize. This means that each spin may cost hundreds of dollars. In other words, you need a much bigger budget, and you are more likely to go bankrupt in the long run. In short, wide-area jackpots are similar to “carrot and horse” stories. You can spend tens of thousands of dollars in the pursuit of the carrot.
In this context, the ideal price/payout ratio is offered by fixed pool jackpot machines. This is because:
- You do not have to play with the maximum bet to activate the jackpot,
- The minimum/maximum betting limits are much lower,
- RTP rates are much higher.
The potential profit you can earn is much less, but the costs are lower, and your chances of winning are higher. Since these machines are actually video slots, you can earn regularly from other symbol sets as well. (On progressive machines, other symbol sets have very low payouts.) What you need to remember is that winning the jackpot prize is entirely up to luck. So there are no tactics and strategies you can apply. For this reason, you need to focus on low-cost options with a high frequency of paying. Fixed-pool machines can provide all of these.
Top 10 Jackpot Slots List
When reviewing the list below, remember the criteria we mentioned above. When we were preparing this list, we considered the qualities of the games, the prize amounts, and their prevalence. We have not made an assessment of the chances of winning. So the games on this list do not offer a higher probability of winning than usual. In the light of these explanations, here is our top 10 list:
|Crown of Egypt||IGT||Progressive|
|Cocktails and Diamonds||WMS||Fixed|
|Capt Quid’s Treasure Quest||IGT||Fixed|
|Black Magic Fruits||Barcrest||Fixed|
You can play all of these games and more for free on our website. No download is needed, just click the “play now” button and start having fun for free as long as you want.
Lastly, try out the free versions in advance and practice. The more you practice, the more experienced you become. You can use the games on our website for this purpose. If you want to play with real money, you can also find the best online casinos through our website.